Welcome Back For Another Round….
Fri Jan 24, 2013 – in my studio, overlooking a magnificent liquid amber.
Wow, what a year past! One that finished with some wonderful random feedback from ‘fortyfive downstairs’ Director, Mary Lou Jelbart. Mary-Lou commented that my exhibition, Umbilicus (2006) was one of the outstanding shows of the past 7 years. That feedback is greatly appreciated at this time when I am re-entering the city’s fiery ‘civilised’ atmosphere after my wanderings in the desert. Many of the Umbilicus pics ended up in The State Library of Victoria’s, and Mercy Health’s, permanent collections. See the pics here.
NB. This is my new newsletter format. Please consider hitting the ‘FOLLOW’ button (towards the top RHS of page) to receive notification when I update this blog with new happenings or newsletters.
In this edition:
1) New Upgraded Website – online now.
2) Heide Museum of Modern Art – commissioned Matchbox Miniature sets now available.
3) WildLife project with award-winning ‘Kage’ (Dance Theatre company).
4) Miss Jugoslavia and the Barefoot Orchestra Performance Shoot – Now Online.
5) Bob Brown’s Official Address at The Kimberley exhibition – Updated version now online.
6) From the Archives – ‘Car Yard’, circa 2001.
1) New Updated Website – online now. I’ve migrated a lot of my old galleries and blog posts to this site (coz ‘Live Journal’ and ‘Hosting Bay’ provided ongoing shite service – not unlike Telstra :)).
There are plenty of new galleries too, so please have a good explore when you’re bored, excited or simply keen to procrastinate. You never know what you’ll find – like this moving set of old performing arts pics (many from the Melbourne International Arts Festivals of 2004/5).
‘Light Fantastic’ – 2006 L’Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival’. Produced by Laetitia Shand.
2) Heide Museum of Modern Art – Heide commissioned a new Matchbox Miniatures set of the Heide gardens, sculptures and architecture. These are now available in the Heide store or contact me directly via email or on 0410 757 202.
Matchbox Miniatures are a set of 10 hand-cut miniature photos served on a bed of hand-torn paper inside an iconic Redheads matchbox. Each box contains a different set of images.
From a previous human/nature series
3) I recently completed WildLife, a collaboration with award-winning Kage (dance-theatre company). WildLife is a series of three large-scale paste-ups (approx 2.4 x 1.5 m) capturing the tension of the dancers’ intimate movement through the Australian bush and exploring issues of gender, equality, proximity and form. You can see the full series here.
‘WildLife III’, 2013
While the exhibition is officially over, the principal dancers, Kate Denborough and Gerard Van Dyck, are still hanging on in the last paste-up….until nature sees them fall…or perhaps bakes them on for eternity?! Visit The Abbotsford Convent to see the real thing, located on the reverse-side of the large map just inside the main entrance on St Heliers Street.
Also, Kage has an incredible new show opening soon (I was lucky enough to see the work-in-progress mid 2013). Seriously, check it out if you can – ForkLift.
4) Miss Jugo and the Barefoot Orchestra Shoot – Now Online. I recently photographed this performance at fortyfive downstairs. Whilst very difficult to photograph due to its beautifully crazed full-on/full-off nature of movement, music and lighting, Miss J & TBO was excellent. See some of the pics here and keep your eyes and ears peeled for Miss Jugo’s (a.k.a. Tania Bosak) future performances.
‘Miss Jugoslavia and the Barefoot Orchestra’, 2013
‘Miss Jugoslavia and the Barefoot Orchestra’, 2013
5) Bob Brown’s Official Address at The Kimberley exhibition – Updated version now available. For those who were unable to attend Bob Brown’s address or for those who just can’t get enough of the good Doctor’s inspiring words, hear the inspiring climax of Hunter G’s Trans-Continental Odyssey.
On behalf of talented photographer and activist, Hunter G: A big thanks once-again to Bob Brown (visit The Bob Brown Foundation) and also to Dave Meagher/Singing Bowl Media for filming this.
NB Exhibition prints are still available for purchase at ridiculously cheap prices: $250 for an image in excess of one metre wide!; $150 for 30 x 40 cm framed prints; or framed Limited Edition prints (100 x 70 cm) for $695. View the images and Hunter’s contact details here.
‘Iron Storm’, 2013. By Hunter G
If you’d like to follow Hunter G’s work: ‘LIKE’ him on Facebook; ‘FOLLOW’ him on Twitter; or ‘FOLLOW’ his Blog for photo-essays, stories and commentary. Hunter G’s exhibition work offers beautifully crafted photographic imagery. He also has a soft spot for the absurd, combining creativity and humour to spread the good word – whatever that might be.
6) From the Archives – ‘Car Yard’, Circa 2001.
‘Car Yard’, circa 2001
Remember, if interested, click the ‘FOLLOW’ button (towards the top RHS of page) to receive notification when I update this blog with new happenings or newsletters.
All the best for 2-0-1-4. Thanks for listening & bye for now,
Copyright Charlie Sublet (except where noted otherwise). Most images available for purchase.